Pages

Wednesday, November 5, 2014

What it's not about

This is not a Lubbock booster page. I have no intention of recommending places to eat or shop or have a beer, or what is the best neighborhood to live in, or the best school to send your kids to. I am not part of the upscale social scene in this city, nor do I have any desire to be. I do not count myself as part of the business or political community. Apart from a small circle of family, friends and coworkers, few people in this city would recognize my name. I am just one person among 239,538 (2013 est.) trying to get by from paycheck to paycheck.

This is not an entertainment, arts, or popular culture blog. However, I will write about Lubbock's cultural and artistic heritage as it contributes to the character of the city.

It also will not be a political blog, although I will certainly write about politics, particularly the experience of being a liberal in one of the most conservatives cities in the United States.

Mostly, this blog will be a form of therapy. I don't know where it will go from here, or if it will attract any readers. I'd like to think that I might say something that will be of some interest to others, and it will be nice if this happens. But my primary goal is to use this blog to learn about my hometown, to discover the good, the bad, and the indifferent about this city, and most importantly, to gain some insight into how Lubbock has shaped who I am, has influenced my life, my successes and failures, my personality and my relationships, and my outlook on life.

I also want to use this blog to develop as a writer. Since childhood, I have wanted to write. Since I was in high school, there have been people in my life who have encouraged me to write. I have occasionally started projects, including an aborted attempt at a novel and a blog about squirrels that I still occasionally post on, but have rarely followed through. This is the latest attempt, and one that I think offers a lot of possibilities.


No comments:

Post a Comment